Are You Doing Holiday Shopping Online? Avoid Becoming A Victim With These Tips
Online shopping is one way to avoid busy malls and big box-stores during the holiday season.
But is it safe?
Miami-Dade police officers are warning stay-at-home shoppers to take some precautions before clicking the order button.
“Keep package deliveries safe from thieves!” the department tweeted a day before Cyber Monday, one of the biggest online shopping days.
Over the weekend, someone became a victim when a package was stolen from in front of a Hialeah home. Cameras caught a man walking up to a home on the 600 block of West 53rd Terrace and snatching a large brown box, according to Miami Herald news partner CBS4.
And that isn’t the first time someone lost a package to a thief. Last April, someone walked onto a porch at home just outside of Coral Gables and took a package.
Here are some tips from the Miami-Dade Police Department‘s website:
- Pay with low-limit credit cards or use third-party services including Paypal.
- Do not save passwords and always log off when done.
- Make sure someone is home when a package is delivered.
- If possible have the package delivered to a store for pickup.
- Request a signature delivery option.
- Use video surveillance.
Source: Miami Herald